Building Better Opportunities: Positive People Programme
Positive People is part of the ‘Building Better Opportunities’ Programme which is a European Social Fund/Big Lottery Fund project delivered by a partnership of Somerset providers.
The Community Council for Somerset has recruited two Community Enablers & we welcome on board Gail McCarthy, covering the West of the County (Sedgemoor, Taunton Deane and West Somerset) & Jon Cousins, who will cover theEast of the County (Mendip and South Somerset).
Who is the Positive People Programme for?
The projects aim is to support disadvantaged people aged 18 and over towards and into employment.
‘Employment’ also includes the pathway or progression to employment; and measures of success include building confidence, taking part in training, education & volunteering.
- Long term unemployed people
- Those with parental or carer responsibilities
- People who are financially or digitally excluded
- Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic groups (BAME)
- People with health issues and disabilities
- People who are homeless or in housing need
- People with mental health issues
- People who are offenders/ex-offenders
- Workers with low or no skills
- Those out of contact from the labour market (economically inactive)
- Work with people who are:
- furthest from the labour market;
- at most risk of social exclusion;
- have multiple barriers to progression toward economic activity.
- Engage and support disadvantaged people to enable them to overcome multiple barriers to entering work;
- Provide the means through which disadvantaged people become work-ready and are able to access learning, training and job opportunities.