Building Better Opportunities: Positive People Programme
Positive People is part of the ‘Building Better Opportunities’ Programme, which is a European Social Fund/Big Lottery Fund project delivered by a partnership of Somerset providers.
There are two Positive People Community Enablers who work with the Community Council for Somerset as part of the programme: Gail McCarthy, covering the West of the County (Sedgemoor, Taunton Deane, and West Somerset) & Jon Cousins, who covers the East of the County (Mendip and South Somerset).
Who is the Positive People Programme for?
The project’s aim is to support people aged 18 and over, who are currently not working, towards and into employment.
‘Employment’ also includes the pathway or progression to employment; and measures of success include building confidence, taking part in training, education, & volunteering.
- Long term unemployed people
- Those with parental or carer responsibilities
- People who are financially or digitally excluded
- Black, Asian, and Minority Ethnic groups (BAME)
- People with health issues and disabilities
- People who are homeless or in housing need
- People with mental health issues
- People who are offenders/ex-offenders
- Workers with low or no skills
- Those out of contact from the labour market (economically inactive)
What does a Community Enabler do?
For many people, a Community Enabler will be the first person they meet when they are thinking about taking part in the Positive People programme or have been referred to Positive People by another organisation.
As part of their role, Community Enablers listen to potential participants, check their eligibility for the programme, and help them decide if Positive People is for them.
In addition, Community Enablers can:
- Work with people who are:
- furthest from the labour market;
- at most risk of social exclusion;
- have multiple barriers to progression toward economic activity.
- Engage and support potential participants to enable them to overcome multiple barriers to entering work;
- Provide the means through which potential participants can become work-ready and able to access learning, training, and job opportunities through the programme.
Your feedback is important to us. If you have been on or are currently on the Positive People Programme then please follow the link below and let us know about your experience. It should take no more than 10 minutes to complete and will help us to make any improvements required. Your feedback also helps us to celebrate what we are getting right.
Thank you for your time.
Click to download our promotional poster and leaflet