Somerset’s Dairy Careers Project is a CCS project working to support and encourage young people (14-18 year olds) to start and develop a career in the Somerset dairy industry and to promote the fantastic opportunities that it has to offer.
The project also offers information and guidance for employers, teachers and careers advisers to motivate and encourage young people into the industry. In addition information and support is provided to employers on hosting and running farm/industry visits.
What Somerset’s Dairy Careers Project provides:
A resource pack for young people including a bespoke range of information highlighting careers and job roles available in the industry.
A comprehensive website
…for young people;
- signposting to dairy careers advice
- work experience
- funding advice
- local events
- case studies and much more
- lesson ideas
- information on the industry
- information on farm visits
- dairy facts sheets
- food and dairy useful links
- relevant training opportunities
- guide to hosting farm visits
- recruitment information
- work experience guide
- apprenticeship information
- insurance fact sheets
- and a FREE area to upload job vacancies
An inspirational promotional film ‘How do you picture yourself’ shown at events highlighting careers in the industry.
What do we do?
Our experienced knowledgeable project coordinator;
- attends careers fairs
- organises farm educational taster visits for young people to experience jobs available in dairy industry
- arranges industry awareness days for careers advisers on dairy farms in Somerset
- signposts to training and job opportunities
- supports training providers to ensure their courses meet employers’ needs
- networks with businesses, schools and training providers
- motivates and highlights opportunities available to young people