Winter-like weather can continue into April in the UK. The NHS have a useful guide on how to keep warm and well during these cold periods. Click here to read their advice.
Don’t suffer in a cold home in silence
Every year we distribute grants to vulnerable older people through the surviving winter scheme – the money comes from older people who can afford not to use their winter fuel allowance, so the money gets recycled to help people in need.
It is managed by the Somerset Community Foundation – more information can be found here http://www.somersetcf.org.uk/winter.
Our Village Agents are one of the ways people get to know about the money. If you or someone you know is in need, please contact your Village Agent who can help access the Surviving Winter grant.
Home Energy Checklist
- Save money on your fuel bills by changing tariffs or switching energy supplier? Search for the best deals click here.
- If you are in receipt of a means tested benefit such as income support or have a low yearly household income (around £16,100) you may be eligible for £140 towards the cost of your electricity. Find out if you’re eligible and how to apply click here.
- If you are in receipt of a means tested benefit or live in an eligible area, an and are a home-owner or private tenant, you may be eligible for loft and cavity wall insulation and a replacement gas boiler (conditions apply). Get in touch with the Home Energy Advice Line to find out if you are eligible. Email: email@example.com / phone 0800 082 2234
- Take a free online Home Energy Check to find out what you could do to improve the energy efficiency of your property.
- Consider joining an a community oil buying scheme if you use oil to heat your home to get bulk-buy discounts on your oil purchases. Find out about the CCS community oil scheme.
- Visit the Love your Home website run by the local charity, the Centre for Sustainable Energy for free advice sheets about a wide range of energy efficiency issues.